hey y’all! so, anon came to my dash asking me this such a very long time ago, and i just totally dropped the ball with answering, sorry! thank you, adventuresinspace, for reminding me that i’ve been meaning to do this. (CAVEAT: i assume you mean tumblr blogs, not just regular sites—if you did mean that, i’ve done there here, enjoy! i also put together a list of my favorite hockey books, if you’re into that.)
this is kind of a tricky thing to answer, since everyone does Being A Fan differently, and that’s totally okay! you can be a hockey fan however you want to be. so depending on what kind of experience you’re looking for, it can change. plus, i am secretly the world’s biggest mama bear, so i avoid player tags like the actual plague. like if a huge anthropomorphic Bubo came knocking on my door like, “hey girl, you can either let me in or you can go spend some time in the sidney crosby tag,” i’d be like, HEY BUBO, MAKE YOURSELF COMFORTABLE, I JUST PUT A KETTLE ON.
ANYWAY THE POINT IS, these are some super a+ blogs that are great for information, gifs, and more general hockey knowledge? it’s also a good idea to hunt around a bit for blogs which are specific to whatever team you want to follow; they’ll typically have the best (and fastest) gifsets and photosets, etc.
- NOTE: regardless of whether or not you’re here for Shameless Fangirling, fannish people are fucking gif artists. they are so fast and so talented and so dedicated to putting out moving pictures of all your faves looking hella great and doing awesome (or SUPER DUMB) stuff. so if you’re not into fandom, but you want a+ quality gifsets, etc., i highly recommend getting xkit and just muting the text posts because it’s easy and HOW DO YOU PEOPLE DO THAT, SERIOUSLY, SOMEONE TEACH ME THE MAGIC.
okay, so now that that’s out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff.
MOLLYHALL’S BIG LIST OF HOCKEY TUMBLRS FOR HOCKEY TUMBLRERS
- official-nhl: this is such a great tumblr for high-quality gifs across the league. they touch on a little of every team, and even have a section for whatever team-specific gifs you’re looking for. also, they take requests!
- nhltonight: this is a great resource for news and headlines. they also branch out into some of the other leagues—the OHL, WHL, QMHL, ECHL, etc—so it’s a nice way to stay kind of vaguely on top of sports-wide news. (CAVEAT: they occasionally run “ask the bloggers’ opinions” nights, which is totally awesome if you’re into that—but if you’re not, again, xkit is a great solution.)
- fuckyeahhockeyladies: it can be really hard to find resources for women’s hockey, but i absolutely love this one. it’s good about spreading the love between different teams and players. also womenshockeyhistory is always full of beautiful sparkling diamonds of knowledge.
- shcsblog (shit hockey commentators say): the “about us” section of this blog just reads “because sometimes they say some shit,” which i think adequately sums up what’s going on around these parts. look, it’s important to know what’s going on in a hockey game and keep up on news, BUT ALSO SOMETIMES IT’S IMPORTANT TO POINT AND LAUGH.
- yahoohockey: so, i’ll be real honest. puck daddy is very much not always my thing. they can be a total boys’ club and aren’t super interested in working to fix that, besides occasionally throwing women an article about like, sexism in media. and those are great, don’t get me wrong, but maybe we could combat sexism in media by like. including women. in your media. but!! that doesn’t mean that yahoohockey isn’t great and isn’t an awesome resource for news.
- fyeahhockeygifs: this, in tandem with fuckyeahhockeygraphics, is excellent for rebloggable image content.
- hockeyplayertweets: if you want to feel fond of and also kind of exasperated with hockey playing losers, this is the blog for you.
- hockeyplayersontinder: a) it’s never going to not be hilarious to me that a bunch of professional athletes think they need the help of the internet to get laid, and b) RYAN MURRAY GET OFF TINDER. JUST GET OFF. I’M SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU ALWAYS.